Got Axelrod? Call Our Experienced Myrtle Beach Criminal and Personal Injury attorneys.


At Axelrod & Associates, we face adversity daily when fighting for our clients. We want to assure our clients that during this time of adversity throughout our country, we will continue to fight for our clients and provide quality legal representation that defines Axelrod & Associates, P.A.

Please view our COVID-19 statement to learn more about the steps we are taking to continue to provide legal representation for our clients while putting health and safety first.

Got Axelrod?

Nursing Home Abuse in South Carolina

Sending your aging parents to live in a long-term care facility is an agonizing decision. But they can no longer care for themselves, and their ever-growing number of health problems require skills and training that you don't have.

They need the help of highly-trained professionals, working in shifts, to ensure they get an appropriate level of care. You feel guilty about it, but you know it's in their best interest and they are being taken care of...

So, when you discover that the people you've trusted to care for your loved one are hurting them instead... there are no words to describe the anger. The people responsible need to be held accountable and you need to do what you can to make sure that the abuse stops.

My Parents are Being Abused at the Nursing Home, What Can I Do?

If your loved one has been abused or neglected in a nursing home, call your SC personal injury attorney immediately. We can help you report the situation to the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control and take advantage of the state's Adult Protection law and/or the federal Nursing Home Reform Act. In many cases, we can also file a lawsuit on behalf of your loved one to hold the abuser accountable and force them to compensate your family.

How Do I Know If Neglect or Abuse are Happening?

A lot of nursing home residents are unable to report neglect or abuse. Often, they are not aware they are being mistreated. Other times, they know what's going on, but they don't want to report it for fear of retaliation.

That's why it's important for you to visit, ask questions, pay attention, and look for any signs of neglect or abuse. If you see something that doesn't look right, don't hesitate to report it and call your attorney.

Signs of elder abuse include:

  • Development of bedsores (pressure ulcers);
  • Rashes that may be the result of failure to change wet clothing;
  • Unexplained bruises or cuts;
  • Malnutrition or dehydration;
  • Ligature marks on wrists or ankles;
  • Unsupervised wandering in the facility or even off the premises;
  • Fecal impaction;
  • Missing personal belongings;
  • Falls, slips, and other injuries; or
  • Diagnosis of a sexually transmitted disease they didn't have before becoming a resident.

Who Do I Sue for Nursing Home Abuse?

Long-term care facilities are responsible for the care their residents receive. If a "rogue" employee neglects or mistreats your loved one, that individual may be responsible, but, in most cases, so is the nursing home. These facilities are expected to have adequate numbers of staff, to do extensive background checks on all staff members, and to provide proper training and supervision.

Got Axelrod?

If your loved one has been injured because their long-term care facility or its employees failed to provide adequate care and protection, we can help you file a lawsuit to recover damages from any individual staff members, another resident, the nursing home, or any third-party providers who are responsible for the abuse.

Call now at (843) 916-9300 or send us a message online to meet with an attorney who can help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Got Axelrod? Call 843.353.3449
Email Us For A Response

Get A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form. Consultations will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Please note that some consultations may require a consultation fee. Please contact our office for further information.


Privacy Policy

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
4701 Oleander Drive, Suite A
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Phone: 843-353-3449
Fax: 843.916.9311
Myrtle Beach Law Office Map

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
331 E. Main Street, Suite 200
Rock Hill, SC 29730

Phone: 843-353-3449
Rock Hill Law Office Map

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
3700 Golf Colony Ln
Little River, SC 29566

Phone: 843-353-3449
Little River Law Office Map

Myrtle Beach Office
1550 N. Oak St.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Map & Directions