Got Axelrod? Call Our Experienced Myrtle Beach Criminal and Personal Injury attorneys.
Got Axelrod?

Should I Have Uninsured/ Underinsured Insurance Coverage?

In South Carolina, you are required to have uninsured motorist coverage (UM) on your vehicle, but not underinsured motorist coverage (UIM).

What are the benefits of UM and UIM coverage, and why should you get the UIM coverage, even if it is not required?

Both types of insurance coverage protect you - when you are hit by a negligent driver that does not have auto insurance or who does not have enough auto insurance to cover the damage that they caused to you...

What is Uninsured Motorist (UM) Insurance?

Uninsured motorist coverage for property damage will pay for damage to your vehicle, and uninsured motorist coverage for personal injury covers other categories of damages like medical costs, hospital stays, lost wages, or other expenses that the uninsured negligent driver would have been liable for.

UM insurance covers situations where:

  • You are in an accident with a driver who does not have insurance;
  • You are in an accident with a driver who does not carry the minimum amount of insurance that SC requires;
  • You are in an accident with a hit-and-run driver; or
  • The at-fault driver's insurance company refuses to pay your claim.

What is Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Insurance?

UIM coverage is not required under SC law, but it can be a lifesaver if you are in an auto accident.

When the at-fault driver has insurance, but their policy limits are too low to cover your damages, your UIM coverage will pay for the difference up to your policy limits.

What happens if you are in an auto accident and suffer severe, long-term injuries because of the other driver's negligence, but their insurance policy only covers the minimum amount required by SC law?

If you do not have UIM coverage that is sufficient to cover the costs unless the at-fault driver has assets you can collect against, you are out of luck... buy UIM coverage - if you don't have it already, you can add it to your auto insurance policy.

Why Do I Need Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

South Carolina, like most states, has passed laws that require insurance coverage. Despite this, many people do not follow the law and they will continue driving after their insurance has lapsed. The drivers who do follow the law and carry insurance will often purchase only the minimum coverage required which may not be enough to cover your injuries.

Protect yourself and your loved ones by thinking ahead and purchasing sufficient UM and UIM coverage to pay for unforeseen accidents.

Got Axelrod?

Your Myrtle Beach auto accident lawyer on the Axelrod team will investigate your car crash, help you to determine who is responsible, and find all possible sources of recovery to get maximum compensation for you whenever possible.

Call today at (843) 916-9300 or fill out our contact form to set up a free initial consultation to discuss your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Got Axelrod? Call 843.353.3449
Email Us For A Response

Get A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form. Consultations will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Please note that some consultations may require a consultation fee. Please contact our office for further information.


Privacy Policy

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
4701 Oleander Drive, Suite A
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Phone: 843-353-3449
Fax: 843.916.9311
Myrtle Beach Law Office Map

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
331 E. Main Street, Suite 200
Rock Hill, SC 29730

Phone: 843-353-3449
Rock Hill Law Office Map

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
3700 Golf Colony Ln
Little River, SC 29566

Phone: 843-353-3449
Little River Law Office Map