Got Axelrod? Call Our Experienced Myrtle Beach Criminal and Personal Injury attorneys.


At Axelrod & Associates, we face adversity daily when fighting for our clients. We want to assure our clients that during this time of adversity throughout our country, we will continue to fight for our clients and provide quality legal representation that defines Axelrod & Associates, P.A.

Please view our COVID-19 statement to learn more about the steps we are taking to continue to provide legal representation for our clients while putting health and safety first.

Got Axelrod?

Can Grandparents File a Custody Action in SC?

Yes, they can.

Grandparents often feel that they do not have rights when it comes to their grandchildren, and they are often stonewalled when it comes to visitation and custody arrangements. In many cases, however, the grandparents may be the family members best able to care for the child.

Anyone with an interest in the child's welfare can file a custody action in SC when abuse or neglect is suspected, including grandparents. In Jobst v. Martin, decided by the SC Court of Appeals last week, the Court affirmed that grandparents have standing to seek custody under SC law.

Why Did the Court Give Custody to the Grandparents?

The mother had repeated drug and alcohol-related arrests, including an arrest for DUI and possession of marijuana while her child was in the car with her.

The mother and father signed a safety plan with DSS agreeing that the child would remain in the father's custody and the mother would have only supervised visits. The father, however, worked full time and went to school fulltime, so they asked the grandparents to come from Texas to help them care for the child.

Instead, the grandparents showed up and filed a custody action the following week - the Court allowed the child to return to Texas with the grandparents, and ultimately awarded custody to the grandparents due, in part, to the mother's inability to stop abusing substances and her failure to pay child support.

The mother, on appeal, argued that the grandparents do not have standing to pursue custody of their grandchildren, but the Court of Appeals disagreed.

Who Can Ask for Custody in SC?

Any interested person may be able to file a custody action in SC, including grandparents or other third parties.

Section 20-7-420(20) of the South Carolina Code grants the family court jurisdiction to award custody of a child to the child's parent or "any other proper person or institution," including third parties.

Section 63-3-550 of the South Carolina Code (2010) says that "any person having knowledge or information of a nature which convinces such person that a child is neglected . . . may institute a proceeding respecting such child." There is no restriction on who may intervene when abuse or neglect is suspected - the plain language of the statute says, "any person," and that certainly includes grandparents.

As in the Jobst case, if a grandparent has reason to believe that their grandchildren are being abused or neglected, they can file an action asking the court for custody.

Can Grandparents Ask the Court for Visitation in SC?

Grandparents also have a legal right to enforce visitation under some circumstances.

Visitation can be awarded to grandparents in SC if a child's parents are deceased, divorced, or separated, and

  • The child's parents or guardians are not allowing the grandparents to visit for a period of time longer than 90 days; and
  • Granting visitation would not interfere with the parent-child relationship; and
  • The Court finds by clear and convincing evidence that the parents are unfit or that there are compelling reasons for the Court to believe that the parent's decision is not in the child's best interest.

The Court can also award attorney fees and costs to the prevailing party, whether that is the parent or the grandparent.

Got Axelrod?

If you are a grandparent seeking custody of your grandchildren, and you suspect that your grandchildren are being abused or neglected, we can help you by gathering the evidence you need, filing a custody action on your behalf, and representing you in the family court.

Call now at 843-353-3449 or fill out our contact form to set up an initial consultation with an experienced SC child custody and visitation attorney on the Axelrod team.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Got Axelrod? Call 843.353.3449
Email Us For A Response

Get A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form. Consultations will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Please note that some consultations may require a consultation fee. Please contact our office for further information.


Privacy Policy

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
4701 Oleander Drive, Suite A
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Phone: 843-353-3449
Fax: 843.916.9311
Myrtle Beach Law Office Map

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
331 E. Main Street, Suite 200
Rock Hill, SC 29730

Phone: 843-353-3449
Rock Hill Law Office Map

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
3700 Golf Colony Ln
Little River, SC 29566

Phone: 843-353-3449
Little River Law Office Map

Myrtle Beach Office
1550 N. Oak St.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Map & Directions