Got Axelrod? Call Our Experienced Myrtle Beach Criminal and Personal Injury attorneys.


At Axelrod & Associates, we face adversity daily when fighting for our clients. We want to assure our clients that during this time of adversity throughout our country, we will continue to fight for our clients and provide quality legal representation that defines Axelrod & Associates, P.A.

Please view our COVID-19 statement to learn more about the steps we are taking to continue to provide legal representation for our clients while putting health and safety first.

Got Axelrod?

Hit by a drunk driver?

The South Carolina, Myrtle Beach, area, in particular, has more than its fair share of bars and other establishments that serve alcohol. These businesses have a responsibility to their patrons and the general public not to over-serve, yet it happens anyway. If a drunk driver, recently served alcohol at a bar or restaurant, hit you, you may seek compensation for your losses by filing claims against the establishment.

What makes it possible to file claims against alcohol vendors? Why go after the establishment? What is necessary to be successful in court when filing claims against bars or restaurants?

Dram shop laws

South Carolina has dram shop laws. It is these laws that allow victims of DUI-related accidents or -- in the event of fatality -- their surviving family members to file civil actions against alcohol vendors on top of any claims they file against the drivers responsible. Why pursue such actions? It allows victims or their families to achieve greater compensation for their losses if their claims are successful.

Elements needed to win a dram shop claim

As with any civil case, there are certain elements that must exist in order to win a dram shop claim in court. If you wish to pursue this type of claim, you need to be ready to prove the following:

  • Proof that the driver who hit you purchased alcohol from the establishment in question.
  • Proof that you or a loved one suffered injuries in the accident.
  • Proof that the sale of alcohol directly contributed to the responsible party's intoxication.
  • Evidence that the establishment over-served the responsible party.

It can take time to obtain all of the information needed to establish these elements in court. An experienced attorney will know what questions to ask to whom and where to look for the evidence needed to pursue dram shop claims.

Not an option in every case

Dram shop claims are not an option in every drunk driving-related accident case. For example, if a person buys alcohol from a vendor, consumes it at home and then gets behind the wheel of a car, that is not necessarily the establishment's fault. These laws are in place to keep vendors such as bars and restaurants from over-serving their patrons.

If a drunk driver, who had recently left an establishment at which he or she was consuming alcohol, proceeded to hit you or your loved one with his or her vehicle, dram shop claims on top of any other legal claims may apply to your case. By filing all applicable civil claims in court, you can seek maximum relief for your losses.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Got Axelrod? Call 843.353.3449
Email Us For A Response

Get A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form. Consultations will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Please note that some consultations may require a consultation fee. Please contact our office for further information.


Privacy Policy

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
4701 Oleander Drive, Suite A
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Phone: 843-353-3449
Phone: 803-909-9334
Phone: 843-390-9090
Fax: 843-916-9311
Myrtle Beach Law Office Map

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
331 E. Main Street, Suite 200
Rock Hill, SC 29730

Phone: 843-353-3449
Rock Hill Law Office Map

Axelrod & Associates, P.A.
3700 Golf Colony Ln
Little River, SC 29566

Phone: 843-353-3449
Little River Law Office Map

Myrtle Beach Office
1550 N. Oak St.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Map & Directions