North Myrtle Beach Car Accident Attorney
Car accidents are unfortunate and often traumatic events. They can leave victims with life-altering injuries, financial burdens, and emotional distress. To alleviate some of these burdens and guide you through the legal process, a North Myrtle Beach car accident lawyer can be an invaluable resource. They can proactively protect your rights throughout the legal process.
Top 10 Common Reasons for Car Accidents in North Myrtle Beach
- Distracted Driving: Engaging in activities that take a driver’s attention away from the road significantly contributes to car accidents. In North Myrtle Beach, distracted driving includes using mobile phones for calls, texting, browsing, adjusting the car’s entertainment system, eating, or even attending to children or pets. When a driver’s focus is not on the road, their reaction time slows. They may fail to notice potential hazards, leading to accidents.
- Speeding: Excessive speed is a significant factor in car accidents in North Myrtle Beach. When drivers travel at high speeds, they have less time to react to obstacles, other vehicles, or changes in road conditions. Additionally, the force of impact increases with speed. This can lead to more severe injuries and property damage in the event of a collision.
- Drunk Driving: Despite strict laws and public awareness campaigns, drunk driving remains a significant cause of car accidents. Alcohol impairs a driver’s cognitive abilities, including judgment, reaction time, and motor skills. Consequently, intoxicated drivers are more likely to cause accidents, putting other road users at risk.
- Reckless Driving: Aggressive or reckless driving behaviors are common causes of car accidents in North Myrtle Beach. Examples include tailgating, weaving through traffic, sudden lane changes, excessive speeding, and failing to yield the right of way. Such behaviors endanger not only the reckless driver but also other road users.
- Weather Conditions: North Myrtle Beach can experience various weather conditions, such as heavy rain, fog, and occasional tropical storms. These often create hazardous driving conditions. Reduced visibility, hydroplaning, and increased stopping distances are just a few challenges drivers face during inclement weather. Any of these can increase the likelihood of accidents.
- Poor Road Conditions: Accidents can also result from poorly maintained roads or unexpected hazards. Potholes, uneven surfaces, debris, and inadequate road markings can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles. These can also cause them to make sudden maneuvers, increasing the risk of collisions.
- Failure to Obey Traffic Signals: Ignoring traffic signals, such as running red lights or stop signs, or failing to yield when required, can result in dangerous situations, particularly at intersections. Disregarding traffic signals often leads to T-bone or side-impact collisions, which can cause significant injuries.
- Vehicle Defects: Car accidents may occur due to mechanical or manufacturing issues. Faulty brakes, malfunctioning steering systems, defective tires, or other problems can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles. These can potentially lead to collisions. Regular vehicle maintenance and addressing recalls promptly can help mitigate this risk.
- Inexperienced Drivers: Inexperience can be a contributing factor in car accidents. Young or inexperienced drivers may not possess the necessary skills or knowledge to handle complex driving situations. Some may not know how to react appropriately to potential hazards. Inexperience may lead to errors in judgment, such as misjudging distances or failing to anticipate other drivers’ actions, resulting in accidents.
- Fatigue: Driving while fatigued can be as dangerous as driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Drowsy drivers experience decreased reaction times and impaired decision-making. They may even fall asleep at the wheel. In addition, long-distance driving, irregular sleep patterns, and certain medical conditions can contribute to driver fatigue, increasing the risk of accidents.
The Role of a North Myrtle Beach Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident lawyer can be a crucial guide through the legal process that follows a car accident. Here are some of the essential services they provide to help you seek justice and fair compensation:
- Investigating the Accident: A thorough investigation is critical to building a strong case. Your lawyer can gather crucial evidence, such as police reports, photographs, and video footage. They can interview witnesses who can provide valuable insights into the circumstances surrounding the accident. Additionally, your lawyer may collaborate with accident reconstructionists, medical professionals, and other professionals. These individuals can help establish the cause of the accident, determine fault, and provide technical support for your case.
- Assessing Damages: Accurately calculating the monetary value of your damages is essential to ensuring you receive fair compensation. Your lawyer can help you determine the extent of your current and future medical expenses. Compensation may include any lost wages due to your inability to work. They can also assess property and non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life. By thoroughly evaluating your case, your lawyer can seek appropriate compensation for your situation.
- Negotiating With Insurance Companies: Insurance companies often attempt to minimize the amount they pay out in settlements. They can employ various tactics to achieve this. A skilled car accident lawyer can counter these strategies and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. They can present a well-prepared case demonstrating the extent of your damages, the liability of the at-fault party, and the need for fair compensation. This can result in a more favorable settlement offer.
- Representing You in Court: If negotiations with the insurance company fail to reach a satisfactory settlement, your lawyer can represent you in court. They can prepare and present a compelling case to a jury or judge. This can highlight the facts and evidence that support your claim. By effectively advocating for your interests, your lawyer can help you seek the compensation you deserve through a court verdict.
Time Limit for Filing a Car Accident Claim in South Carolina
In South Carolina, there is a time limit, known as the statute of limitations, within which you must file a car accident claim. For personal injury claims, you have three years from the accident date to file a claim. For property damage claims, the time limit is also three years. Failing to file within this time frame may result in your case being dismissed. You will then lose the opportunity to seek compensation for your damages. It is critical to stay on top of deadlines and file your case within the prescribed time. This process can be made easier when collaborating with an experienced car accident lawyer in North Myrtle Beach, SC.
FAQs About North Myrtle Beach, SC Car Accident Laws
Do I Need a North Myrtle Beach Auto Accident Attorney?
Regardless of the complexity of your case, or the extent of the damages or injuries involved, it is always a good idea to consult with a North Myrtle Beach auto accident attorney. This is true even in seemingly minor accidents where both parties agree on the details and liability. Having legal counsel can provide you with peace of mind and ensure that your rights are protected. An experienced auto accident attorney in North Myrtle Beach can:
- Help you navigate the claims process.
- Negotiate with insurance companies.
- Represent your interests in court if necessary.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in North Myrtle Beach, SC?
After a car accident in North Myrtle Beach, the first step is to assess any injuries and seek medical attention if necessary. Next, you should report the accident to the police. Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver involved. Collect evidence by taking photos of the accident scene, damages to your vehicle, and any injuries sustained. You should also contact your insurance company to report the accident. It is crucial to seek advice from an experienced auto accident attorney. Avoid discussing the accident with anyone other than your attorney or insurance company. Do not admit fault or sign any documents without consulting an attorney first.
What Are the Lawyer Fees for a Car Accident?
Most auto accident attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means that they only receive payment if they win your case. The fee is usually a percentage of your compensation, typically ranging from 33% to 40%. In addition to contingency fees, some attorneys may charge additional costs, such as filing, deposition, and witness fees. Discuss the fee structure with your attorney before hiring them to ensure you understand the costs involved.
What Should I Look for in a Car Accident Lawyer?
When selecting a car accident lawyer, consider their experience handling car accident cases. Look for an attorney with a proven record of success who can provide references from satisfied clients. You should also consider their reputation in the community and among their peers. It is important to assess their communication skills and availability. Additionally, it is essential to discuss their fee structure, including any additional costs, to ensure transparency in the billing process. Finally, choose a lawyer you feel comfortable with, who is compassionate, and who is dedicated to fighting for your rights and achieving a favorable outcome for your case.
Contact Axelrod & Associates Today
At Axelrod & Associates, we understand how overwhelming the aftermath of a car accident can be. Our experienced team is dedicated to helping you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries, losses, and suffering. To discuss your case with a North Myrtle Beach car accident lawyer, contact our office today. We look forward to helping you get the justice you deserve.