4701 Oleander Drive, Suite A
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

When do you need a divorce lawyer in sc?

When do you need a divorce lawyer in sc?
Axelrod & Associates, P.A.

When do you need a divorce lawyer in SC?

Your divorce lawyer can help you to get a divorce from your spouse, whether it is contested or uncontested, and part of that process includes protecting your rights – for example, alimony, child support, child custody, visitation rights, and the division of marital property are a part of many divorce proceedings.

Your divorce lawyer does more than just handle divorces, though. Depending on your situation, you may turn to your Myrtle Beach family law attorney on the Axelrod team to help with:

  • Simple or uncontested divorces,
  • Complex or contested divorces,
  • Separation agreements,
  • Child custody disputes,
  • Child support,
  • Alimony or spousal support,
  • Adoptions,
  • Enforcement of child support or alimony orders, and
  • Modification of child support, child custody, alimony, or other court orders.


Your divorce lawyer on the Axelrod team has extensive experience helping clients to obtain divorces while protecting their financial interests and, when necessary, litigating the unique issues in each case like child custody, child support, alimony, visitation rights, and the division of marital property.

Simple and Uncontested Divorces

A “simple” or uncontested divorce is when the parties do not have any significant assets, there are no children involved, and all issues have been resolved.

If there are any issues that the parties cannot agree upon, you do not have an uncontested divorce – your attorney will work to resolve those issues before a trial, but, if the issues remain unresolved, they must be decided by the court at the final divorce hearing.

Complex and Contested Divorces

A contested divorce is any divorce where there are unresolved issues like child custody or division of marital assets.

Your divorce attorney will attempt to resolve these issues before your final hearing and minimize 1) the costs of litigation and 2) the uncertainty of having a family court judge decide the issues. Depending on the circumstances of your case, however, this could involve discovery, motion hearings, mediation (which is mandatory if there are any unresolved issues), and a trial where a family court judge hears evidence from both sides and decides the issues for you.

Family Law Attorneys Can Help with More than Just Divorce Proceedings

When do you need a divorce lawyer? Your divorce lawyer can help you with more than just getting a divorce…

The terms “divorce lawyer,” “family court lawyer,” or “domestic attorney” are often used interchangeably – your divorce attorney on the Axelrod team has experience handling most types of family court issues, including:

  • Separation Agreements: whether you are filing for divorce or just separating for now, a separation agreement or an agreement for separate support and maintenance can temporarily resolve issues like child custody, child support, and spousal support.
  • Child Custody: child custody disputes are often a part of a divorce case, but non-divorce clients may also come to us for help getting custody of their child or fighting the other parent’s attempt to gain custody of a child.
  • Child Support: your child support lawyer on the Axelrod team can help you to calculate the amount of child support you must pay or that you are owed, including consideration of the factors that would allow the court to deviate from the SC child support guidelines.
  • Alimony or Spousal Support: whether you are divorcing or separating but not filing for divorce, you may be entitled to alimony or spousal support from your spouse.
  • Adoptions: your family law attorney on the Axelrod team has the experience that you need to finalize your adoption proceedings, including step-parent adoptions, foster care adoptions, and termination of parental rights proceedings.
  • Enforcement of Court Orders: if your former spouse is not complying with a court order like alimony, child support, custody, or visitation, your attorney can file a Rule to Show Cause asking the court to step in and enforce the court’s order.
  • Modification of Court Orders: in some situations, your attorney can ask the court to make changes to the court’s prior orders, including modification of child custody, child support, and alimony payments.


Why do you need a divorce lawyer to help with your divorce, child custody, or other family court proceedings?

The short answer is that you don’t know what you don’t know, you don’t usually get second chances in the family court, and these issues are too important to get wrong. We’ve written before about why you need an attorney for your divorce proceedings, and this applies to other family court proceedings as well.

Although the SC Bar provides a self-represented litigant packet for those who choose to attempt to represent themselves, it is recommended that you get advice from an experienced family court attorney before you begin this process.

Your family law attorney on the Axelrod team will help you to understand the issues you are facing, what the law says about your situation, and how to accomplish your goals procedurally. We will always attempt to resolve your issues amicably, but, when that is not possible, we are also prepared to fight to protect your financial interests and your family.


If you are considering separation or divorce, talk to your Myrtle Beach divorce attorney on the Axelrod team as soon as possible. Whether you have a simple, no-fault divorce with no contested issues or a complex separation involving children, assets, and multiple businesses, we will help you to protect your assets, your children, and your rights during the divorce process.

Call now at 843-916-9300 or get in touch through our website to talk with a SC divorce attorney today.

Recent Posts



Need help? Contact Axelrod & Associates, P.A.

Our Locations

Medios de Comunicación Social:


Request your

The fields marked with * are mandatory.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.